Make website talk
Our website is speech enabled. This means that the contents of our site can be read to you. This is useful for people with:
- mild visual impairments
- literacy difficulties
- English/German/French etc as a second language.
What is Browsealoud?
Browsealoud is a free software programme which you can download to your computer. Browsealoud:
- reads all our website pages including pdf documents
- highlights text on the screen as it reads
- can be customised so you can choose a male or female voice and change the speed, pitch and volume of the reader.
- can be used on any websites which offer the Browsealoud service
How to install and use Browsealoud
You only need to do this once and the software is free.
Once the software is installed on your computer, the Browsealoud icon will appear in your system tray, which is usually found in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
You can now listen to any website offering the Browsealoud service.
Help using Browseloud
When you move your cursor over text, the sentence is spoken aloud. You can choose to listen to selected sections of text or the entire page.
There is also an option to see the words that are being spoken in large size at the top of the screen.
To customise your Browsealoud settings, right click on the icon once it is installed on your computer and choose 'Open Browsealoud settings' from the menu.
For more information on using Browsealoud take a look at the following guides.
Important information for people who do not use a mouse
Browsealoud is designed to be used by using the mouse with your computer. If you are unable to use a mouse, you should enable the mouse keys.
To enable mouse keys on a PC:
1. Open the control panel
2. Select accessibility options
3. Select the mouse tab
4. Switch on mouse keys. You will now be able to control the mouse using your numeric keypad.